Standard Self-DIrected Search (Standard SDS) Comprehensive Kit
|31105||Standard Self-Directed Search Kit (Standard SDS Kit)||$290.00|
|31105A||Standard SDS Assessment Booklets, Pk/25||$69.00|
|31105F||Standard SDS Occupation Finder Books, Pk/25||$92.00|
|31105C||Standard SDS You and Your Career Booklets, Pk/25||$57.00|
|31105M||Standard SDS Professional Manual||$81.00|
|31105R||Standard SDS Replacement Kit||$186.00|
|31105E||Standard SDS Educational Opportunities Finder Books, Pk/25||$81.00|
Well-known career counseling tool.
John L. Holland, Ph. D.
- Age Range: 11-70 Years
- Time: 25-35 minutes to administer, 10 minutes to score
- Restricted Use: Level A
The Standard Self-Directed Search (Standard SDS) is designed to help clients learn about themselves and their career options. Whether they are students choosing a major, veterans entering the civilian job market, or adults pursuing a career change, clients can use the Standard SDS to learn more about occupations that match their interests, abilities, and personalities.
Like its predecessors, the Standard SDS is based on John Holland’s theory that both people and work environments can be classified according to six basic types: Realistic, Investigative, Artistic, Social, Enterprising, and Conventional. These personality types are known collectively as the Holland RIASEC model.
The SDS asks questions about the individual’s aspirations, activities, competencies, and level of interest in different occupations. From the responses, the SDS generates a three-letter Summary Code, which can be used to help the individual find his or her educational and occupational matches.
This easy-to-use, comprehensive career exploration tool asks questions about the individual’s aspirations, activities, competencies, occupations, and other self-estimates. The resulting three-letter Summary Code, which designates the three personality types an individual most closely resembles, can then be used to help the individual find his or her occupational match.
Features and Benefits
- Applies to all stages of life. The components of the Standard SDS can be used together for educational planning and career development, as well as leisure and retirement planning.
- Includes brand-new normative data. Normative data were derived from a nationally representative sample of 1,739 students and adults.
- Is well studied and psychometrically sound. The SDS is one of the most thoroughly studied career assessment tools: the SDS has been used in more than 1,500 studies.
- Sets the standard for career assessment. Used by more than 35 million people worldwide, the SDS was originally written by John Holland, the creator of the popular RIASEC theory of vocational personality.
- Uses a continually updated occupations resource. SDS Summary Codes are linked to occupations found in the Occupational Information Network (O*NET) database, a major occupational site used by consumers and professionals.
Standard SDS Components
- The Assessment Booklet is the basis of the test. It includes sections for clients to rate the activities and occupations that interest them; it also allows clients to rate their own abilities and competencies. The booklet provides guidance for interpreting the Summary Code, as well as resources and next steps for the user.
- The Occupations Finder is an index of Summary Codes for occupations in the O*NET database. O*NET codes are included for each occupation, making it easy for clients to learn more about the occupations that correspond to their code.
- The You and Your Career booklet explains Holland’s RIASEC model in more detail; it provides strategies for making career decisions and resources for further career exploration.
- The Educational Opportunities Finder™ helps users identify programs of study that are associated with their Summary Codes.
- The Leisure Activities Finder™ identifies more than 800 leisure activities that match the personality types identified by the SDS.
- The SDS Professional Manual provides complete practical information about the SDS, including the theory underlying the SDS, guidelines for administration and scoring, and information about interpreting results. A Fast Guide is included with your purchase of the manual.
SDS Form R 5th Ed. Kit includes SDS 5th Ed. Professional Manual and Fast Guide, 25 Assessment Booklets, 25 Occupations Finders, and 25 You and Your Career Booklets, plus one BONUS copy each of the Leisure Activities Finder, Revised for the 5th Ed., and the Educational Opportunities Finder, Revised for the 5th Ed.
SDS Replacement Kit includes 25 StandardSDS Assessment Booklets, 25 Occupations Finders, and 25 You and Your Career Workbooks.