1-2-3 Magic for Teens
|1-2-3 Magic for Teens
Time-tested, trusted advice guiding kids to gain confidence, and move toward independence.
Thomas Phelan, Ph. D.
From rule-breaking and risk-taking to defensive communication, and disrespect, parenting a teenager can feel like modern warfare. 1-2-3 Magic Teen will help establish a calmer, more respectful home and family life, and guide the teenager into healthy, functional adulthood.
This valuable resource offers time-tested advice, in a straightforward encouraging style, taking the parent through the ups and downs of teen life. It identifies which issues are worth fighting over, and those that are normal for an adolescent.
- Learn the language to communicate with open and engaging language, and listen to the teenager in the right way
- Establish expectations by learning to set limits, while encouraging independent decision making, and helping the child develop emotional intelligence
- Stay in touch by allowing the teen to open up in more meaningful, and inclusive, ways, through four simple connection-building strategies
- Take time to maintain the adult’s emotional well-being, so as not to allow anxieties and stresses to influence the teen
The book also includes tools and advice tailored for the challenges of a teen lifestyle, including:
- Forgetting to do chores
- Absence in family outings
- Drop in grades
- Missed curfews
- Parties and drinking
- Work responsibilities
Paperback; 192 pages.